Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2010


This is my personal account of SGIScon.

(Pre-con) Thursday
We left super late Thursday evening. I take the blame. I hate packing and had really been putting it off. So by the time I got off work and got home I was already running late. I hadjust enough time to finish packing as some of guests (speckly, SteveWesMoots, and Schmat Guy John) arrivedthat we were giving a ride up to Arnold. Once I was packed up we shoved everything in the Shennavan. Wemade a stop at Walgreens for my Drammamine and other snacks then finally got back on the road after 8pm. We made alate stop in Manteca for a dinner at Taco Bell and finally made it into Arnold by 10pm-ish. It was an easy ride up. It'dbeen pretty dry the during the week so almost no snow. Surprisingly, a bunch of guests decided that they wanted tocome up early as well. So we had the Stockton group join us for the night (Laura, Mario Hugo, Moose, Nozomi,Carlos and Mouse). H4773r and I called it an early night because we knew we had to get up early to go buy allthe food.Everyone else, as far as I know, stayed up a bit getting settled in and playing some games.

Even though H4773r and I were out the door by 10am we didn't get back from food shopping til 3pm. It was a bit annoying since we pretty much had to leave a house full of people with no food. Bad planning on my part, but I'm not used to having people there this early. The day pretty much went: drive into Escalon and pick up food donations from H4773r's family and some cash. Drive to Stockton's Costco, get new Costco card, do all the Costco shopping and then hit up the Savemart nearby and get all the grocery shopping done and finally get back up the hill. People were grumpy and I didn't really blame them. But once everyone had eaten they were in a much better mood. Saturday saw the rest of the guests arrive: squirrelinacoma, her bf Jeremy, the Davis group (f3r3tt, Shawn, Mario, Alvin, Matt) and Chris and Amanda. The day was spent gaming on various consoles, playing various board games, watching Something Something Something Darkside, and prepping for the D&D campaign.

A bit of a late morning for some. The day was filled with tons of gaming and getting started on the D&D campaign. A few people went to find some snow and H4773r and I went for a quiet walk. Overall most people stayed in and enjoyed relaxing and gaming. Chris and Amanda went home, but later that night chickwithgun arrived along with her gf L2. Also we celebrated with drinking night! Saturday has been reserved for getting blitzed. I enjoyed 5 mixed hard alcohol drinks myself as shown by my drunken tweet/fb post: "completwel inebr8ated but enjpying myself. i know this is completely mispelled more or ledd. but having fun #sgiscon"

A very late morning for myself as I tried sleep off my hangover. As soon as breakfast was consumed everyone hauled ass to find snow. While chickwithgun and L2 hauled ass home. We also lost squirrelinacoma and Jeremy. The weather finally started to turn. I'm glad I only really had to deal with the rain, and for those that wanted snow they surely found it and had fun. In fact, they nearly got in trouble for sledding on private property and had to make a quick get away when the cops arrived. D&D continued through the night. Since it was officially H4773r's birthday this day we had cake after dinner. I finally got a chance to play some Silent Hill: Homecoming while the campaign was talking place. The night closed with a bunch of people playing more Rock Band and Guitar Hero 5 before quiet hours.

Up super fucking early, in my opinion, to get everyone else up and out. By now the rain was heavily coming down and I get anxious about people getting safely home since so many have a long drive ahead of them. I had Shawn and Nozomi helping with breakfast again thankfully. Right after breakfast H4773r cued up closing music and gave his closing announcements as well as handing out the winner of SGIS con. This year's winner was Matt, who got himself a lovely bobblehead slave Leia. Others were given Star Wars trading cards with H4773r's atrocious handwriting scrawled on it. Then everyone began packing their cars, cleaning up the mess, and taking leftovers.
Our drive home was fairly long and we left fairly late as we had to make sure everyone else was gone first and also we had to make a garbage run (7 bags full). The weather home was pretty bad. I'll still take rain over snow but we did get to a few points where we were crawling along the road because it was raining so hard.

My overall impression of this year's SGIS Con felt more hectic than last year's. We had a bit more miscommunication with guests then previous years. My budget was completely blown. And I think more guests had personal problems with other guests than previous years. I know it can be hard to get along with a bunch of different personalities all cramped together in cabin for a weekend, and while no one is particularly nasty to anyone I do wish people found other guests less annoying. I also felt less organized this year in some respects. But most everyone seemed to have had a good time and said it would be ok if I raised the price a few dollars for next year. So we'll see. Til next year-May the force be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment