Search This Blog

Friday, April 29, 2011

Anaheim Comic-Con: Day 1



Another early day for us. Breakfast at the McDonald's by Disneyland followed by setting up the Amor-Geddon booth. We only had the one booth space, which is a 10x10. But it still took the three of us (myself, H4773r, and N.B.L.) about 4 hours to get everything into place.

My biggest complaint about the setup was the lack of lighting. We're using our knives to open boxes as well as displaying items with sharp points and working in very dim lighting. They didn't actually turn on the main lights until about 30 minutes before the con hall opened.


Also, it felt like we were in forgotten land. We left the boxes out on the floor because we were told they'd be picked up. And the ones we wanted saved would also be picked up. No one ever from the union actually came around to pick anything up. One of the custodial ladies came by and asked us if the boxes were trash and took them. The save for boxes we had to take to the union people.

After set-up H4773r and I went to get lunch. We decided on Baja Fresh, which is located in the Hilton's "food court." Their food court also includes Starbucks, Just Grillin, Submarina, S'Barro, and Mix Restaurant. This is slightly better than paying for con food, where prices range from $2-$5 for snacks and $4.25 (hot dogs) - $9.50 (pizza) for actual food.

After food H4773r and I had an extended break. I decided to catch up on my internet stuff. Internet options for the Anaheim Convention Center include free wifi, exhibitor wifi ($99.95/day), and pay-for wifi. Since it's impossible to sign onto the free internet I wound up walking all the way back to the McDonald's for wifi signal. (If anyone knows of anything closer, please do tell.)

I finally had the chance to walk around the hall right as it opened. The space is actually pretty small, to me. I'd compare it to slightly larger then the Fanime vendor room at the San Jose Convention Center.

I did spend some time assisting H4773r and N.B.L. at the Armor-Geddon booth until Kryssie arrived. Since I knew she would be alone and I wanted to get to know her and more about the D20 Girls Project, I wandered over to her table and pretty much spent the rest of my evening hanging out with her.

I'll admit I felt pretty undressed in comparison to Kryssie. She was dressed as Typhoid Mary and I...well I was wearing a cute skirt, a "Kick Ass" comic shirt, and boots. I just ran out of time to pull together a decent cosplay outfit.

The hall was only open from 5p-9p on Friday, but it felt like a ridiculously long day. I also didn't see any panels because I was at the D20 booth all evening.

Before calling it a night H4773r and I grabbed dinner at the Denny's right across from Disneyland. I really like this Denny's. The customer service is fast and great.

No comments:

Post a Comment