Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

San Diego Comic-con, Friday

As this was my first time, Comic-Con was quite overwhelming even with Pievuhg's help (she's con veteran). I had quite a few things I wanted to catch on Friday: Coraline panel, 9 panel, and catch whoever I could for autographs and photo-ops.

So we arrived a bit late to Comic-Con. Again, we weren't crashing at a hotel/motel anywhere near the con. We actually stayed with a friend of Pievuhg's, who lives on the only moutain in San Diego.


The Coraline panel I wanted to see didn't start til 10:30am, by the time we arrived at and picked up my badge (I had a mix up because of the single day passes) it was 10:00am. The line looked deceptively short-why? Because it turns out they had let people in early. By the time the room was full I was still waiting outside with three people in front of me. I used the time to put on my makeup and decided I wasn't going to leave until the panel was over, in the vain hope I would be able to get in to catch at least some of Neil Gaiman. Pievuhg waited with me until H4773r showed up (H4773r was kind enough to drop off me and Pievuhg while he looked for parking.) Once H4773r got there, he and Pievuhg took off. Pievuhg went to scope out the Exhibit hall and H4773r went to hold a place in line for us at Hall H. After much waiting I was actually able to get in and catch the last 10 minutes of Coraline, so just the Q&A portion of the panel. I was able to find out what kinds of media influences the director Henry Selick, such as the Kings of Leon. Also it was asked what project Neil was most looking forward to next-The Graveyard Book. And then Mr. Selick told Mr. Gaiman how fans would come up to him asking if Sandman would ever come to the big screen. It was determined that while there are no plans in the making, both Mr. Selick and Mr. Gaiman would love to see it happen. I met Pievuhg in the Exhibit hall and she walked me over to the Hall H line to meet with H4773r. I arrived to see my panel, "9", three hours early. I was glad I did. The line was gi-normus! The kids in front of us were veterans and gave us the low-down on how the line works and what to expect. I had been hoping to catch CBDL's Amanda Palmer session but the kids told me if I left the line I probably wouldn't be able to get back in. I figured I'd stalk Ms. Palmer later.

I had a small discussion about the "unfairness" of waiting in line. I think it's fair that once the
panel is over the hall/room empties out completely. If you want to see the next panel in that room, you have to get back in line. The kids explained how this was actually tried at previous SDCC's and how near chaos/riots broke out. One of the kids countered that her mom was
physically disabled and it would be difficult for her to leave a room like Hall H and then go back in line to see the next panel. And for the people like Topless Robot, who blog about all things in
Hall H, it's also unfair because they actually want to see everything in that room. First off, Comic-con is all about picking and choosing what panels/events you're going to see. And more often than not, you will miss things. Secondly, I believe people who actually want to sit through
all panels in one room actually only makes a small percent. Most people will sit through a panel they have no interest in just to gaurantee they have a seat for the panel they actually want. Thus, taking a spot for some poor bloke waiting outside who wanted to see the previous panel. Example, I really wanted to see the panel for "9". H4773r and I got in to see the Disney panel, before "9". I didn't mind catching the Disney panel, but if given the choice I would've skipped
Disney and only watched "9". But, like everyone else, once I got in the hall I wasn't leaving until my panel was over. As the kids explained it there probably really isn't a "good" way to satisfy
everyone.


Moving on, I really enjoyed the Disney panel from what I caught of it. We got to see some footage of Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" in 3D, which is set for release Valetine's Day 2010. Pixar is working to finish a new straight to ABC Family cartoon called "Prep & Landing." It's going to premiere this holiday season and looks absolutely
hilarious and cute. We saw extended footage of Disney's new "The Princess and the Frog." I'm already in love with these new Disney characters, and excited it's following more a musical format. I have no doubts this cartoon will make it to Broadway. And lastly, Miyazaki took the stage and we were able to see some of "Ponyo."

Some of the room cleared out of the Disney panel and we were able to get a bit closer for the "9"
panel. Seriously, I just about peed my pants when Tim Burton came onstage. And then Elijah
Wood entered and he is just so fucking adorable. I really wanted to put him in my pocket and take him home. Also Jennifer Connelly was there, surprisingly Crispin Glover was absent. But essentially we got to see the trailer twice, and extended scene and learn a bit of how the whole thing came together. The worst part about it, the Q&A. Let's just say awkard geeks are terribly, terribly awkward. Even I cringed. (yeah i know it's super blurry, but trust me when i say tim burton, elijah wood, and jennifer connelly are in it.)

After the panel I had planned on wandering the Exhibit hall but learned Ms. Palmer would be making an appearance at the Comic Relief booth. I quickly rushed through the Exhibit hall with H4773r to get in line. Strangely, I actually ran into AFP while on my way to the Comic Relief booth. I mananged to get out a hi, and then waited a few moments while she and her manager went over some things. I then realized if I was famous and going to be doing a meet and greet
soon I wouldn't want to be bothered while working. So I said as much, along the lines of "You know what, you look busy and I'm going to the meet and greet anyway. So I'll see you there." Hopefully she appreciated it. When I got to the booth, they actually had "Who Killed Amanda Palmer" books for sale. Since I hadn't purchased one yet I bought one there. Luckily I did. It turns out only people who bought the book could actually meet AFP. She was in an open enough space that a number of passerbys stopped to take her picture. But I was so excited I actually got to meet her and get an autograph and photo. Hopefully next time I'll have a cool gift to give.

Having recieved my first dose of celebrity, I needed more. So H473r and I headed to the webcomic booth area. I got to meet Jennie Breeden, Scott Kurtz, and MC Frontalot. I already had the Devil's Panties Vol. 1 for Jennie to sign, but bought Devil's Panties Vol. 2 and tipped for alcohol money. Jennie is by far one of the best people to meet in person. Despite the comic portrayals she isn't awkward and very personable/down-to-earth and friendly to talk to. As much as I like pvponline. I didn't make any connection with Scott. I purchased his new Binwin poster and let him know that I really like the new Ding comics, but he just wasn't as talkative/didn't seem to care. MC Frontalot is a cool guy to meet in person, but I let H4773r do all the fan boy talking to him.

While at MC Frontalot's booth he decided to put on a impromtu rap session. It was a nice
preview to Saturday night's show.

We ended the night by having dinner at the Olive Garden. Yeah, all way down to San Diego and we stop at OG. Don't judge.



No comments:

Post a Comment